Well friends, it’s another off week. Which means I can’t expect to break the RV by using it. Fortunately for me, the woman has come up with ways for me to break the thing without hooking up. After I took care of a few non-RV errands, I got to work.
First up on the plate was tunes. We have been severely lacking in music. The prior owner had used a home stereo unit to hook into the sound system. It would work, but it isn’t elegant. Not to mention, it would require being hooked up to shore power to get any sound. Not an ideal requirement for us. Why have a solar recharging setup if I’m just going to hook up to power? When we bought it from him, he took it out. And we had no sound at all…
My first thought was to go to a place that purported to be “The home of the $1 install.” When I mentioned it was going in my trailer, the $1 install turned into “We’ll have to charge you the shop rate.” What’s that? $80 an hour. Sooooo I high-tailed it outta there. Heck, the RV repair guy we use only charges $75 an hour. As you can guess, I was somewhat less than excited to have their grubbies all over our RV. Well if I’m not going to have them do it, who would install it? Well, as the person who stole my stereo outta my truck when I was a high school student knows, I can do an okay job of installing a stereo. I went to Frys electronics and picked up a fairly cheap stereo. Not bottom of the barrel, but you can see it from there.
Trust me folks, it’s not rocket science. Black to ground, red to power, yellow to battery, and hook up your speakers. In an RV, you can hook up both to battery, as you aren’t going to use the ignition to turn everything on. All the wires were already run for the speakers. I just had to hook up the stereo to the wires. I cleaned up the mess, cut a wire mesh that was already there so that it would fit around the car stereo, and bam. I was done with that project. Now, I can have music while doing other projects. I’ll probably replace those speakers with better ones at a later date, but they’re not bad for now.
Next up. The door. We weren’t having any issues with the door itself. Actually since I pulled it apart, and re-aligned it, I haven’t had a single problem with it. So we had to fix something that didn’t really need fixing. The glass just wasn’t pretty enough. My better half found these RV door stained glass places. We shopped, I put my foot down on “No floral pattern” and “No woodland creatures.” She was going to go for a rainbow, and I talked her out of it. We ended up getting a fairly nice starburst pattern.
A few screws, and the window is loose(ish). I break the great seal that I had on there that wasn’t leaking at all, and pull down the glass. It hurts a little to actually take apart something you put together really well. But it was for the best. I scraped off the silicone, and put the new stained glass in. It looks real pretty. I like it a lot better than the original glass.
Finally I got to the LPG and CO detector. I had to run an extra power wire to it. I had already cut the hole out, and put it in place. I had just been putting off running power. Easy enough. And done. I guess I’ll have to figure something out for me to do Sunday.
Update: Sunday didn’t see any work on the RV, but we did see this right outside our parked RV.